I thought a fitting way to start a blog would be to answer a few questions. I pulled this questionnaire off of All and Sundry. I've been playing with the idea of starting a blog for almost a year and when I saw these questions it was the push I needed to start my own. So here we go...
1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
I ran my first 5k last July. Although it's only three miles, I was initially a little intimidated because I'm not naturally all that athletic. I had a blast and have done a few more since then. This year I'm planning to do a 10k.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My new year's resolution is to be less negative and more organized. I can be very critical of myself and others and nine times out of ten its unnecessary. The organization thing is probably going to be a life-long goal...but I need to procrastinate less and follow-through more.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my dear friend Amy gave birth to Madison and two of my best friends will have babies in April!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Just a few places in the US of A. We spent an awesome week in Moab and Park City UT last July along with tons of weekend trips to Lake Chelan, Leavenworth, Spokane, Bellingham, Seattle, Coeur d' Alene and Ocean Shores.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
I would like to have a baby...yikes I can't believe I am admitting it! But, I'm ready and so is my husband so hopefully it will happen at some point this year.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
A. The day my husband got his new job. It was an awesome blessing for us and six months later he still loves his job.
B. Our trip to Moab was so fun and relaxing
C. The day our newly finished basement flooded because our ice line popped off the back of our fridge. It was terrible!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I've been married for two and half years and I can honestly say that it gets better every day. I am proud that we have made our marriage a priority and because of that it's thriving. Also, we have been renovating our house for almost two years and it's almost done!!
9. What was your biggest failure?
I think my biggest failure this year was not being a better friend. I'm too critical of others.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
We bought a used but new to us Toyota 4runner this fall. I love it.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband is a hard worker, a great provider, takes care of me and our house and is a trusted friend. I think he's worth celebrating.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My friend's husband is selfish and immature. He regularly stressed me out.
14. Where did most of your money go?
The house...it all went to the house and maybe towards a few pair of jeans!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Aaron's new job. He was working for Wells Fargo as an assistant manager and is now a commercial banker for a different bank. It was the opportunity he had been working towards for 6 months and well deserved!
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Regina Spektor -- Infidelity. I don't know why, I just really love that song.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? same
c) richer or poorer? same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish we had camped and hiked more last summer. I also wish I had done a 10k last summer like I originally planned.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Work! No...I wish I hadn't wasted so much time worrying about stuff that rarely came true. I have little problem with anxiety.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Aaron and I spent the weekend before Christmas with his family and the actual holiday in Park City with my family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
I fell more in love...
22. What was your favorite TV program?
It was the office before the writers strike. The strike needs to end ASAP.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
Traveling Mercies by Ann Lamott. You may be able to tell from my blog title that I really like the book.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Matt Kearney and Regina Spektor
26. What did you want and get?
A new car--the 4runner
27. What did you want and not get?
A drama free workplace
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I have n idea, I don't watch that many movies. I just saw Bourne Ultimatum and it was good.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 25 and we went to Spokane, stayed in a nice hotel and went out for dinner. There was some shopping involved as well. Birthdays are kind of a big deal to me.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Starting a blog...
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
32. What kept you sane?
My husband, the dog, long walks, a glass of red wine and talking on the phone with my mom
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
?? Brittney? How could you not...
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Bono's One Campaign
35. Who did you miss?
I missed my friends Mary and Diana and my parents and brothers.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I honestly have no idea, I meet new people all the time.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Part of the reason I named this blog Traveling Mercies is because I love the book. But the other reason is that when I read those words it reminds me of the kind of person I want to be. I want to be a kind and compassionate person to everyone I come in contact with regardless of who they are. From the grocery clerk to the bum on the street to my best friend and work acquaintances, my hope is that I can project the kind of mercy on them that I am always looking for from others.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I'm lame...I can't hardly remember my cell phone number much less a song lyric that sums up my year.