Thursday, August 7, 2008

3 Hour Glucose Test

When my doctor's nurse called two weeks ago to let me know my test results from the one hour glucose test came back too high, I freaked out. Not because I was worried about my health or the health of the, I was freaking out that I would have to take the three hour test which requires fasting.

Let me back up a little, anyone who knows me, even just a little bit, knows I am not keen on missing a meal and I will do anything to avoid throwing up. You might even consider my aversion to vomit a full on phobia. I avoid public restrooms, I Lysol my house and anyone in it if I hear of illness and I break into a cold sweat listening to coughing or gagging. It's ridiculous, but I've literally been this way all my life. Thankfully, baby spit up doesn't bother me, so hopefully, that will desensitize me for the real thing.

Anyway, the reason I didn't want to do the 3 hour test was because you have to fast (which is not fun, especially pregnant) and then drink 100 grams of glucola, which tastes like flat fanta, and then sit around the hospital lab for 3+ hours and get your blood drawn every hour on the hour. My doctor, for shits and giggles, throws in a blood draw at 30 minutes post drink, so I actually had 5 blood draws. My arms are hideously black and blue today.

So, after cancelling the test twice, desperately trying to talk my doctor into letting me take the one hour again and basically whining to anyone and everyone who would listen to me, I bit the bullet and took the test yesterday. And surprise surprise, my drama was all for nothing. The test wasn't exactly how I would want to spend the morning, but it didn't make sick like I was told it would and other than having some sore arms and a bit of a head ache yesterday afternoon, I felt fine.

I showed up right at 8am after rolling out of bed all of 15-20 minutes earlier. I got my blood drawn, waited while it was tested, drank my glucola, which thankfully kind of filled me up for a bit and then sat reading People Magazine and talking on the phone. I was able to drink water the whole time and I only got light headed and a little nauseated right at the end and that was just because I was starving! Aaron took me out for lunch afterwards and as soon as I had filled up on chicken tacos, I was as good as new.

When I talked with the nurse this morning, she said two of my readings came back borderline which means I do not have gestational diabetes but it may mean I need to follow a stricter diet. I'll be interested to hear what my doctor has to say.

I've decided that I'm not going to fill my girlfriend's minds with pregnancy/labor/motherhood horror stories. I was terrified to be pregnant because of all the bad stuff you hear but as each new milestone comes and goes, it has been easier, happier and more fun than I could have ever predicted. I think 90 percent of us have decently easy pregnancies and we need to talk about it! Its obviously important that we are honest about our experiences, but at the same time, I'm committed to less drama. I'm here to say pregnancy and all the crap that goes along with it isn't that bad! If anything its more inconvenient than anything else.

That's my soap box for today. Coming up...belly pictures and a finished bathroom. Also, a new washer and dryer that I have been tempted to caress lovingly and give a little kiss.


Ripe for Reading said...

Good for you that you survived that test. I can't imagine the 3-hour one. I did the 1-hour one early, early one more and downing that orange drink on an empty stomach is nasty.

Yay for pics!

metalia said...

Oh, I can relate to your glucose test fears...I had THE WORST experience with mine:

Chad & Cate Kuhlmann said...

Haha! Remember when I threw up at your house when I was prego...good times, handled it just fine.
Oh, and why was your drink flat...mine was super bubbly and it tasted pretty good.