Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Your Blog is a Little Heavy on the Poop...

That is a direct quote from my husband.

I make no promises that this is the last blog entry about my sons bowel movements. It's a little all consuming these days.

I initially thought that the taking dairy out of my diet was helping, but I think I'm wrong. I don't think there's been any improvement yet and it's day five. I'm off to the natural foods store to buy baby probiotics. I'm sticking to the no dairy for a bit longer and I've also cut out nut products since my side of the family has that allergy and I eat peanut butter a lot.

I'm stressed.

Anyway...

I made really good chicken tortilla soup today. Here's the recipe:
(do you like how I'm now mixing my conversation about poop with food...I've hit new lows even for myself).
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 1/2 can refried beans or more (trust me)
  • can of black beans
  • can of dices tomatoes
  • can of green chilies
  • 1/2 red pepper and 1/2 green pepper finely diced
  • 1 medium yellow onion finely diced
  • 1 box of low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 jar of good green salsa
  • 3 tbsp. taco seasoning
  • salt and pepper

Throw chicken breasts into your crock pot (frozen or fresh) with half jar of green salsa. If you really want to turn up the flavor add 1 cup of water and two chicken bouillon cubes. If you don't have the boullion don't worry about it. Let cook on high for about two hours or until the chicken is cooked through.

Shred chicken with two forks and leave in crock pot. Add chicken stock, black beans, tomatoes, onion, peppers, corn and taco seasoning. Stir in refried beans and let simmer for another couple of hours. Add salt and pepper as you see fit.

Top with sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips and cheese!

The refried beans add a touch of creaminess to the soup, which I love. Although I will warn you that it will separate in the soup (when it's been cooled) and make the soup look kind of gross. Just give it a quick stir and it will congeal the way it's supposed to.

Happy crock pot day.

No comments: